18 May 2016

Stats for Index Pages

When I looked at correspondence chess a few weeks ago in CC 2016, I decided,
Before I update my page, I'm going to look at some statistics to measure the interest in this topic. It might be sufficient to provide ZIP files as I now do for the World Chess Championship : Computer Chess.

I've had a new stats package running on the site since last summer -- see New Stats for M-W.com (October 2015) for details -- which is enough time to account for temporary anomalies. I set the time period to cover six months (November 2015 - April 2016), loaded those results into a database, and analyzed them. The following table shows the results for each of the main index pages.

Since the page receiving the most views is the site's main index page, I calculated views on the other pages as a fraction relative to that index page. For example, the table shows that the page covering events for 'FIDE 1948-1990' gets 18 views for each 100 views that the main page gets.

World
Championship
Views per 100
'Main Index' Pages
Link
Main Index 100 WCC-INDX.HTM
FIDE 1948-1990 18 WCC-INDY.HTM
Pre-FIDE 10 WCC-INDZ.HTM
Women 8 WCC-WOMN.HTM
Zonals 6 WCC-ZONL.HTM
Computers 6 WCC-COMP.HTM
Correspondence 4 WCC-CORR.HTM

I was happy to see that women's events and zonals received a decent number of views and this was confirmed by the stats for the individual pages in those topics. Stats for the pages on correspondence chess showed fewer views, indicating less interest in that topic. I'll stop creating separate pages for new events in World Chess Championship : Correspondence Chess and will provide ZIP files only.

No comments: