09 October 2013

2012-2013 Grand Prix, Paris

I added the crosstable and PGN for the 2013 Paris event to my page on the 2012-2013 Grand Prix. The SB tiebreak values on my page don't match the calculations on the official site, but I've used my algorithms so often that I don't think they're at fault. The official site might have used a nonstandard formula, like excluding a value. I'll investigate if I get a chance.

More important is to wrap up the series, since the Paris event was the sixth and last scheduled tournament. I need to add the calculations that determine the overall winner (and qualifiers to the Candidate event), plus add the participants to the index that cross-references players and events.

Despite its shortcomings, the Grand Prix series has become a fixture on FIDE's World Championship calendar. It might be worthwhile documenting its forerunner, the GMA World Cup of the late 1980s.

No comments: